I'm so happy Reese is back- on the blog and in Michigan! Now our blog can have a little more focus and we can start tag-teaming posts again. School is officially in full swing, football season has started, and we are having a blast! Reese and I have a surprise but we can't tell you for another week- so check back then!
Reese and I are both bound and determined to get healthy this year. It's neither of our goals to drop serious weight or become vegan- nothing extreme, but we are both making small changes and I can speak for us both when I say we feel better already. I just wanted to tell the few things I'm doing that have made a BIG change. I started back in August doing one new healthy thing a week. I knew I would get overwhelmed if I started doing everything at once and this way I had a full week to adjust to my new habit before adding in something new.
1. Take a multivitamin every morning. I take a prenatal vitamin but that's just my personal pick. Mine are Meijer brand so it doesn't need to be anything expensive. I'm all for getting all my nutrients through "real" food but that's near impossible and since I don't really eat dairy, I'm lacking in Vitamin D and Calcium anyways.
2. Drink a glass of water every morning (I take mine with my vitamin). Our bodies are mostly water- so it makes sense for us to stay hydrated! Drinking a glass of water every morning makes me feel more awake. There are days where this ends up being the only water I drink- so at least I know I had that ONE glass. I'm trying to carry a water bottle with me more but I forget a lot...
3. Go semi-vegetarian. I know I could never be a vegan or even a 100% vegetarian so I'm just cutting back on all my animal products. My morning smoothies are now made with coconut milk and soy yogurt. I only eat meat at one meal a day and I haven't had red meat in weeks. Do I miss eating meat? No. Do I feel healthier? Yes. Have I eliminated that 'after meal coma'? Yes. Are my jeans looser? Yes.
4. Make a smoothie every morning and eat fruit for a morning snack. This is an EASY way to get some fruits and veggies in! My smoothies are 1 cup of fruits (whatever you want), 1 cup of spinach, coconut milk, soy yogurt, and a scoop of protein powder. I usually bring applesauce to school because it's easy to eat but this way I know I've gotten at LEAST 2.5 cups of fruits a day.
5. MOVE. Reese and I just started working out together and we're really pushing ourselves and staying motivated. We typically walk/jog a mile, do weights, a mat workout, and 20 minutes on the elliptical. I actually really like jogging so sometimes when Reese does mat I'll go jog a couple more laps. LET ME TELL YOU...I do NOT move fast, I do not end up dripping in sweat, I do not kill myself- but I DO push myself, I DO work up a sweat, I DO feel sore the next day! That's what matters!
So tell us- what do you do to make yourself a little healthier? What are your favorite things to do for a workout?